Thursday, July 28, 2011

Best parenting advice...


Here's another Show Us Your Life topic from Kelly's Korner...best parenting advice!

I can't really give much advice on this because I am not a mommy yet, but I do spend most of my days with sweet little ones throughout the year. The best advice that I can give parents as a teacher is to READ, READ, READ to your child and with them!!! I love this video. A school took a very popular Black Eyed Peas song and changed they lyrics to encourage young people to enjoy reading. I want each and every one of my students to leave my classroom LOVING to read. That is my goal each year and I work very hard to make reading fun so that the love can be found.

There are so many statistics out there regarding children and reading. I found this awesome brochure with a top 10 facts every parent should know about reading. I love #9 on this top #10 list...

9. THE most economical device to teach reading is already in your home. Finland’s children have the highest reading scores in the world and they use this device more than any other country—and it’s free! It’s closed-captioning on the TV. Turn it on by using the “menu” button on the remote to reach the “cc” area. Children unconsciously absorb the sight of the words and their sounds, making connections to how print is used. It’s like having a free magazine sub- scription in the home. All print counts. What about recorded books—do they count? Read on.


So here is a top ten list of my personal favorite children's books...

1. Saturdays and Teacakes by Lester Laminack

2. Stephanie's Ponytail by Robert Munsch

3. The Doll People, The Meanest Doll in the World, and The Runaway Dolls by Ann Martin

4. The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton

5. Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White

6. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

7. I've Been Burping in the Classroom and other Silly Sing-Along Songs by Bruce Lansky

8. Corduroy by Don Freeman

9. Just Go to Bed By Mercer Mayer

10. Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss




No comments:

Post a Comment